21.9.09

Country Blues (Hustling Gamblers) - Dock Boggs

Come all you good time people
While I’ve got money to spend
Tomorrow might be Monday
And I’ll neither have a dollar nor a friend

When I had plenty of money, good people
My friends were all standing around
Just as soon as my pocket book was empty
Not a friend on earth to be found.

Last time I seen my little woman, good people
She had a wine glass in her hand
She was drinking down her troubles
With a low-down sorry man

Oh, my daddy taught me a-plenty, good people
My mama, she taught me more
If I didn’t quit my rowdy ways
Have trouble at my door

I wrote my woman a letter, good people
I told her I’s in jail
She wrote me back an answer
Saying “Honey, I’m a-coming to go your bail”

All around this old jailhouse is [hainted], good people
Forty dollars won’t pay my fine
Corn whiskey has surrounded my body, poor boy
Pretty women is a-troubling my mind

Give me corn bread when I’m hungry, good people
Corn whiskey when I’m dry
Pretty women a-standing around me
Sweet heaven when I die

If I’d a-listened to my mama, good people
I wouldn’t have been here today
But a-drinking and a-shooting and a-gambling
At home I cannot stay

Go dig a hole in the meadow, good people
Go dig a hole in the ground
Come around all you good people
And see this poor rounder go down

When I am dead and buried
My pale face turned to the sun
You can come around and mourn, little woman
And think the way you have done

No comments:

Post a Comment